Thursday, January 9, 2020

Film Review: "Frozen II" (2019)


4 out of 5

At this point in time I'm throwing all of my money at Disney. Between Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney+ I'm suckling that bland paste so hard from the teat of that bloated mouse it's a wonder I can see straight at all. And as much as I hate to admit it I'm loving every minute of it.
The funny thing is that I have three kids but I saw Frozen before they were born and thought it was fine but ultimately cold to it. Now my two oldest love it and we watch it once a week. I'm assuming it's because I've had it pummeled into my life through sheer repetition but I've grown fond of it over the last few months. The story is simple and concise, the animation is great, and the songs are catchy earworms. So when I saw a trailer for the sequel that appeared to be doing something new I was actually excited.
And it's really, really good. When big budget sequels rarely evolve and opt to repeat prior sucesses this movie does just that: evolve. Each character has an arc and development, even Olaf the snowman manages a character depth and growth that will definitely have kids (and some adults) in tears. We get to see new places that further flesh out Arendell and its' place and history in this world as well as delving into ideas of war and betrayal that are easy enough for kids to understand but incisive enough for adults to feel. It's kinda surprising just how mature this movie really is.
The music is about as strong and singable as you can imagine and I'd guess some parents out there are already sick of it. Each new song is just as good as the ones from the prior film.
I personally enjoyed the new settings and spooky mysteries. The original has a strong winter aesthetic that have made it an unofficial Christmas movie, this one has a rich autumnal look and feeling and I gotta wonder if it won't end up a Halloween/Thanksgiving jam. I'm into it should that happen.
I feel weird admitting that at this point I'm 100% into a Frozen 3 more than I am a new Star Wars movie but here we are. Either way Disney will separate me from my money so that's my reality.
Hey, Bob Iger, take my money, dingus!

No comments:

Post a Comment